Sr. Principal DSP Engineer (4G, LTE-A, 5G)
United States - Multiple Locations
Number of Openings:
Our client solves real-world communications challenges with market-leading wireless products. Their commercial solutions are internationally renowned for their applicability in commercial electronics, wireless LAN, signal processing, cellular towers, 4G/LTE/5G communications equipment, in-building DAS, wireless infrastructure, and RF communication systems. They are hiring a Sr. Principal DSP Engineer with expertise in systems engineering to design embedded software for their hardware applications.
The Sr. Principal DSP Engineer will work as part of a tightly knit multi-disciplinary team to develop embedded software for advanced, feature-rich wireless technology. As part of the product development team, this person will have strong influence on development activities from end to end, including conceptual design, development, coding, testing of DSP algorithms, and embedded software/firmware.
This Role Offers:
- Opportunity to be part of a team developing highly sophisticated commercial wireless products within Wi-Fi, cellular communications (4G/LTE, LTE-A, 5G), RF test solutions, and other advanced network areas.
- Engineer-centric work environment within a small, high-performing team with a legacy of success in their R&D projects.
- Opportunity for hands-on commercial product development with software/firmware tech involving 5G and other cutting edge technology applications.
- Tightly-knit team within a wholly owned subsidiary, with the financial backing of a multimillion-dollar parent company; high degree of autonomy and freedom to innovate.
- Flexibility to specialize in niche theoretical knowledge or develop versatile multi-disciplinary skills within a team.
- High level of influence within the engineering team, with direct access to CTO and individual recognition for contributions.
- Great learning environment, hands-off management with support when you need it
- Strong, stable company with 60+ year history of building high-grade telecommunications components and equipment.
- Ownership of the product development lifecycle from design to implementation, with a high degree of influence over processes, protocols, functional specifications, and product features.
- Strong support for employee development, including cross-functional skills development, in-house training, and employee continuing education opportunities.
- Design software systems to accompany specified hardware computational systems. The ideal candidate is not purely algorithm-focused, but has an eye for the final hardware platform and the physical layer.
- Develop embedded firmware for RF test solutions and components as part of a team of senior firmware, hardware, and software engineers.
- Program end-to-end solutions (ideally in C++), including design, coding, implementation, testing, and documentation of modules.
- Take ownership of major system software components and development processes of a full software/firmware stack.
- Develop real-time embedded systems and applications from conceptual model to implementation, discussing milestones and product roadmaps with clients when necessary.
- Implement programming models using customized open-source code.
- Write and review of functional specifications for systems.
- Validate operation of features and provide guidance as needed to test engineers.
- Provide systems-level expertise to other team members.
- Limited (<5%) international and domestic travel.
- 10+ years of experience in digital communications, specifically within DSP design, signal processing, and systems development, with recent commercial product development experience. Critical skills include:
- Spatial multiplexing
- Fiber optics is a plus, but not required
- MSEE or MSCS, with preference for candidates holding a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science.
- Modeling and simulation tools such as MATLAB and System Generator.
- Programming skills in C++/C is helpful.
- Strong analytical skills for complex engineering and product development problems.
- Prior experience developing multiprocessor/multi-threaded applications
- Experience with wireless data communications standards and technologies:
- 4G/LTE, LTE-A, 5G
- 11 and WLAN
- Propagation modeling
- Good verbal/written communication, presentation, and technical documentation skills.